This vocational training program helps students set the stage for an exciting career behind the curtain in theater, concert, opera, television, film, corporate events, and more. Technical theater careers, many of which do not require a college education, are rewarding, take place in a variety of exciting job locations, and offer high-paying wages. Participants of the Backstage Pass program discover the ins and outs of each job, networking on their journey of learning to launch their careers and find future employment.
Over the course of this program, students will meet industry professionals, visit theaters and workshops, and build their skills through professionally taught, hands-on training sessions.
Sessions will be conducted on Mondays from 4:00-5:45pm.
After much thought and deliberation, Opera Philadelphia will require all members of its Backstage Pass Program, in addition to its staff and volunteers, to be fully vaccinated as a condition of returning to in-person workshops.
In line with many schools, universities, businesses and other organizations, and to ensure the best health and safety of all members, proof of vaccination will also be required.
Technical Session Subjects
- Carpentry, taught by Paul Hewitt and Stephen Dickerson
- Costumes, taught by Morgan Porter
- Electrics, taught by Jacob Gilbert
- Props, taught by Scott McMaster
- Stagehand 101, Dan Amadie
- Stage management, Jamel Baker
- Wigs and Makeup, Alfreda “Fre” Howard
- Site Visits to Philadelphia Scenic Works and Philadelphia Theater Company
- Personal Finance Workshop
- Resumes and Cover Letters + LinkedIn